Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Doughnuts

A few days ago Kevin and I went to Voodoo Doughnuts.  They used to just be in Portland (and are the #1 restaurant on Urbanspoon for Portland), but now there's one in Eugene!  They haven't had their grand opening yet, so they have very limited hours, but Kev and I went there at 5:30 the other night and, while they were out of two of the most popular ones (the Voodoo donut, shaped like a voodoo doll, and the Maple Bacon Bar), we managed to get quite a haul of other donuts.  I generally dislike donuts, but I must say that Voodoo has won me over.  Admittedly, I got a fritter (the Memphis Mafia, to be precise), not a regular donut, but I am willing to branch out and try others, as this was no ordinary fritter.
For one thing, it was enormous.  For another, it had a ridiculous assortment of mix-ins and toppings: "Fried dough with banana chunks and cinnamon sugar covered in a glaze with chocolate frosting, peanut butter, peanuts and chocolate chips on top!"
Yes, it is truly a work of art.  I went back a couple days later, in the morning, only to find out they don't open until 2, but I am hopeful I'll be able to return before I must leave!


Tomorrow Mom and I are going for a little vacation up to Portland, because she has an appointment there on Thursday.  We'll go to Powell's (screw the Strand, this is the true master bookstore) to find some cheap awesome books, and to Andina (a popular Peruvian restaurant) for lunch.  There's a Voodoo Doughnuts not too far from Powell's, so maybe we can stop by there, too...though we'll be having dessert at Papa Haydn, where there is a fantastic meringue cake with fruit and chocolate.  Mom and Aunt Karen apparently used to eat there all the time when Aunt Karen lived nearby, and the cake comes highly recommended by both.  I'm rather offended I didn't learn of its existence until recently, but I'll try not to hold it against them too much.


This post focused so much on food, I feel it really belongs on http://nomnomfooood.blogspot.com/ instead.  But Yngvildr is getting irritable, and I'm hoping this soothes her ego.  Side note: those of you who know me will be shocked to hear that I went 9 DAYS before my first visit to Sweet Life.  That's more than a WEEK.  And no, I have no idea why it took me so long.  I went tonight with Sarah, and ate an entire eclair.  Kill me now (by making me eat more?).  Thus ends the side note.  Tschüss! 

2 comments:

  1. Subscribing to your blog immediately.
    Amy, I want to visit you in Oregon someday! It and the food just sound so lovely.

    Also, is your picture a plum stuffed with pancetta and cheese? Because it looks delicious and I will finally be in charge of making my own food this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fig stuffed with pancetta and goat cheese. Doesn't it just make you want to die from joy?

    ReplyDelete